A day in the life

A day in the life in Westminster


After leaving home at 0400 on Monday to get to London, I awake on Tuesday feeling a little weary. I shower (using Dove products of course) and as is my routine these days, start scanning the radio for news and politics. Next it’s check my email and speak to my team to make sure I know what the day ahead brings.


I grab breakfast on the move, convincing myself that I’m doing the ‘London thing’, although I’m not so sure I’ve got it right.


I arrive at Westminster. I go through upcoming business and decide what needs further research done by the team back in Plymouth. There are also a number of urgent cases which need my personal attention. Some of the casework is extremely difficult and often resolutions can be hard to achieve although, it does make getting good results for constituents that much sweeter.


After relentless phone calls from a certain political reporter at the Plymouth Herald, I call him back. He wants my comment on a number of issues and I’m always thankful that, on the whole, they are a publication which give a balanced and fair account.


I call the Plymouth office to catch up with them on what is happening and to see if they need anything from me.


I start preparing my speech on Marine A. Westminster is often crowded and I share an office with some other MPs so I find solace on the ledge in the corridor to do some proper writing.


I give a radio interview. It’s fairly short and to the point. Still, it needs concentration.


I have a host of back to back meetings ranging from veterans’ issues, to business, to healthcare and occasionally some more confidential matters.


I’m suddenly struck by the realisation that I’ve not eaten since my takeaway breakfast this morning. I head out for something to eat with my parliamentary assistant, using the opportunity to talk over some of the projects which are upcoming in Plymouth.


I will be catching up on paperwork in the office waiting for the ring of the division bell to signal the coming of the next vote. It doesn’t sound, that particular piece of legislation passed without any dissent from the opposition benches.


It’s back to the digs and back to email. I give my wife a quick call whilst making a coffee to check she and the children are doing ok. Often I get a pang of guilt when I’m away and yet I have to balance it with what I’m working to achieve.


There’s still a lot which I need to do, but tiredness is really kicking in and I have to give in. It’s time for some rest.

A day in the life in Plymouth


I leave home on my motorbike. I’m heading to the Copthorne Hotel to speak in front of over 100 local business people.


The meeting at the hotel is finished and I hang back to catch up with various people who have questions for me. Events like this are a great opportunity to chat with local business and catch up on the good and the bad from their perspective.


I arrive at the Plymouth office and catch up with the team. There’s a lot going on and we talk about the systems we have in place and what we can do to provide a better level of service.


I’m on the Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2. It’s an interesting and lively show and something which I’m more than happy to be a part of.


When I get back to the office, it’s straight into a meeting with a local marketing company who have been engaged to create a new website for me.


Stop off in Estover to meet with a local business about some specific things they have asked to raise with me.


It’s time for another interview. This time with CNN.


I’m on shift with the local police. I find this an invaluable way in which to connect with the community. Having spent time in the military, there is perhaps an unspoken understanding between ex-service personnel and the police. It also helps me really get first hand experience of the everyday issues our city faces.


I finally get home. Felicity is fast asleep and the place is in darkness. I would like to stop, relax and have a beer. However, more often than not, it’s time to check the diary and see where I am in the constituency on Saturday morning. It’s pretty non-stop now, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.


We'll make sure your voice is heard

This information will never be shared to 3rd parties